Australian Professional Year Programs are available in three fields – Computer Science, Accounting, and Engineering (or any related field). These programs are, in general, very beneficial for applicants. In this post, we specifically focus on the Professional Year Program on accounting Internships Adelaide.
What is an Accounting Professional Year Program?
The Accounting Professional Year Program was designed by the Institute of Public Institute of Chartered Accountants Australian and New Zealand. It is approved by the Australian Department of Home Affairs (DHA), and it helps graduates get an additional 5 points, essential for a Permanent Residency visa application. Only overseas applicants with an accounting degree awarded by an Australian University can apply for these programs.
What is the course structure?
In a PYP, you will receive both formal learning and practical experience in an Australian workplace. It will help you get prepared to work in the Australian professional sector. Here we discuss the detailed course structure.
The PYP is a full-time course delivered over 44 weeks, and the maximum duration it can take is 52 weeks. Of 44 weeks, 32 weeks are set for classroom teaching while graduates have to go through a 12-week internship program.
In the 32-week coursework, various modules that are taught include Australian Workplace Context, Professional Practice and Decision Making, Individual and Group Commitment, The Regulated Environment, Interview Skills, etc.
In the internship placement, you have to attend a supervised program of no less than 240 hours in the field of accounting. This program should be sufficiently relevant to your qualifications and skills. A supervised program in a top company will provide the maximum benefits.
So, we recommend that you should choose a top-ranked institute, which can have powerful connections with leading organisations. It will ensure your placement in the industry that will perfectly match your career goals and specific field of study.
If you are already employed, it will also get accepted if found suitable. Your institute will also provide essential professional services like monitoring and supervision of the internship. Your employment position and employing company can fulfil the requirements you will need to complete your Professional Year Program.
Eligibility Criteria For The Accounting Internship Program in Adelaide
The entry requirements for the Professional Year Program are as follows.
- You should have completed one or more degrees in Accounting after your two years’ study at an Australian University.
- For the English language requirement, your current General or Academic IELTS score should be 6.0 in each band, or 50 in each band if you had given PTE or an equivalent score in Cambridge Advanced English or TOEFL iBT.
- You should have a 485 visa or any other relevant visa valid for at least 12 months.
- The outcome of your skills assessment from any recognised accounting body should be positive.
- A pre-enrolment interview should be undertaken with the authentic course provider to ensure that the course is suitable and viable.
Here we discuss a few points that may clear some confusion.
- By two academic years, we mean a full-time CRICOS-registered course of a minimum of 92 weeks.
- If you are on a student visa, you should have completed your course before the program commenced. In addition, you should prove that you have at least applied for the Visa Subclass 485 or a Bridging Visa, have a valid score of 6 in each band of IELTS (or something equivalent in TOEFL or PTE) and have got a positive skills assessment to be eligible in the Accounting Professional Year Program.
- By the end of the program, students on a student or bridging visa should get the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485.
- If you already have a Permanent Residency Visa or any other visa that grants full study and work rights, you will not be eligible for application.
Benefits Of The Professional Year Program
Attending a Professional Year Course in Adelaide will provide you with the following benefits.
- You will get the necessary professional experience in an authorised Australian professional sector. It will also help you fulfil essential accounting tasks.
- This program deals with professional development, and practical hands-on learning will help you prepare for work, experience culture and ethics in an Australian workplace. After completion, you can get a permanent position in a leading company.
- You can get the chance to explore new areas of accounting under this program, which will expand your knowledge. It can help you in your employment.
- As you can get in touch with top professionals in the industry, you can expand your professional circle, which will also help you interview.
- A PYP certificate in accounting will also help you improve your CV.
- And most importantly, successful completion of the program will help you get 5 additional points for the points-based test associated with the Permanent Residency visa application.
Which Are The Recognised Accounting Programs?
The Australian Department of Home Affairs recognises three Accounting Professional Year Programs, and they are:
- CPA Australia Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting (SMIPA)
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting.
- Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting
Who Are The Recognised Program Providers?
CPA (Certified Practising Accountants) Australia is a professional accounting body. It jointly works with partners like the Institute of Public Accountants and Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand to design the Professional Year Program in Accounting. These three accounting organizations give the necessary approvals to all the providers who deliver the program.
Many applicants ask whether the CPA Australia itself provides the Accounting Professional Year Program or not. You should note that CPA Australia does not offer it, and the approval process is overseen by the three bodies mentioned here.
There are many providers located across the major cities in Australia. If you want to know about Accounting Internship specifically in Adelaide, you should get in touch with the top-ranked provider based here.